The benefit of removing the default category “Uncategorized” from your site, this will help with SEO, as all of the posts generated should have category, this in turn will help your audience find you by increasing the visibility of content that search engine algorithms use to rank sites. Which will in turn increase your websites prominence.
Remember each post in WordPress is filed under one or more Categories. This helps with navigation and allows posts and to be grouped with others of similar those are similar. You can instead set the default category to something that you think you will be posting about a lot.
For example on a movie review site on might have the category defaulted to “Movie Reviews” with additional categories for “top 10 lists” “Horror” “Comedy” so forth and so on.
A few tips:
- Your category names must be unique.
- Some themes take advantage of category descriptions. So these are not required but I find them helpful for administration.
- You can nest sub categories within categories. So for our example you could use the parent category “Movies” with sub categories for each genre.
Steps to Follow:
- Go to –> WP Admin
- Posts -> Categories
- Search for “Uncategorized” category in the right hand of table
- Delete or Edit -> Name it as you desired for the site category
If already posts are assigned to “Uncategorized”, don’t forget to move to new category.